[MPWG] NTFP trade in Scotland

Marla Emery memery at fs.fed.us
Wed Apr 22 09:08:08 CDT 2009

Hello Patricia and all,

Thanks for sharing the article on NTFP trade in Scotland.  I must say,
having done research on NTFPs in Scotland, I'm going to have to check the
sources and reliability of the information reported in the article.

Re. NTFP values in the United States, so often nonmarket activities, which
constitute the majority of gatherers -- if not of biomass -- are ignored.
These include creating and reinforcing direct, intimate connections
between nature and humans (there's nothing more intimate than putting
something into your mouth and literally having it become a part of your
body).  Because foraging requires careful attention to ecological
characteristics such as weather, habitat, and phenology, especially when
engaged in over time, it leads to a kind of awareness that can be a strong
basis for ecologically motivated behavior and attachment to place.
Foraging can also promote human health by promoting exercise and access to
fresh food, often with high nutritional value.  Interestingly, the latter
point was brought home to me most strongly by my research in Scotland.

All of this is not to say that there are not significant social and
ecological issues raised by large-scale commercialization of NTFPs, such
as the terms of compensation for landowners.  But I do think it is
important for those of us who work in this field to remember that the vast
majority of people who go out to gather nontimber forest products do so
for use by themselves and their immediate social networks. That activity
contributes to development of the kinds of knowledge and attitudes that
are recognized as foundational to support for conservation -- provided we
do not alienate people by demonizing their activities.

Cheers,
Marla

Marla R. Emery, Ph.D.
Research Geographer