[MPWG] Mushroom Question

marguerite uhlmann-bower 3moonsisters at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 18:30:35 CDT 2008

 Hello MPWG'ers,

Last week a friend brought me several small 3" to 4" wide Ganoderma
applanatums off of his cherry tree.

(Yes, it was definitely identified as a cherry tree.)

My question is this - would this mushroom - Artist Conk - that is grew on
this cherry tree contain some of the tree barks cyanide?
And if so, would it be removed by the same method that
is used for the tree bark? ... drying for 6 months prior to use?

Over this past week I have asked (emailed) many knowledgeable people. All
had excellent answers yet all were unsure and did not have a definitive
answer. Though all agreed with me, that drying for 6 months would probably
be the best way to ensure, if any, cyanide removal.

Since this list serve covers an international range of people, my hopes are
that someone may know the answer.

Otherwise my only definitive way is to have the mushroom tested. Which I
will do if need be.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Sincerely,

Curious Marguerite

--
Green Blessings,
Sincerely

May our walk be soft and gentle
as we gather our roots once again.

Marguerite Uhlmann-Bower, R.N., Herbalist
TheHerbalNurses™
10517 Turnpike Rd.
East Meredith, NY 13757
(607) 278-9635