[MPWG] NEWS: Medicinal Plants are Big Business in Germany

Bob Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 6 11:05:43 CST 2008

Hi All
I have attached a copy of a recently published paper on the results of
crossing wild American ginseng from West Virginia with field cultivated
American ginseng from Wisconsin and cultivated ginseng from West Virginia
as well as self pollinating wild ginseng and crossing with other wild
ginseng plants within the same population. The wild plants crossed with the
cultivated produced bigger (presumably more vigorous?) offspring after a
couple years of growth suggesting that isolated wild populations may suffer
from inbreeding depression. Current federal guidelines discourage the
introduction of cultivated ginseng seed or plants into wild ginseng
populations due to fear of outbreeding depression, i..e the possibility of
introducing harmful genes that may harm the wild populations. Although this
is a preliminary study and long term survival of the offspring has not been
determined I would hope that this paper will cause federal officials to
review their management recommendations and guidelines.  In my opinion the
best way to protect an important natural resource such as wild ginseng is
to encourage and not discourage landowners to grow it. The practice of
planting cultivated seed into forested environments with wild ginseng
populations has also been well documented for the past 100 years.