[MPWG] Fw: Ontario Ginseng

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu Aug 14 07:44:51 CDT 2008

Forwarding this message, with permission, as I think others would be
interested in Tony's observations...

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 08/14/2008 08:42
AM -----

Tony Hayes <herbalogic at yahoo.com>
08/13/2008 12:15 PM
Please respond to
herbalogic at yahoo.com

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
cc

Subject
Re: Ontario Ginseng

Hi Patricia,

I believe that we are finding out that there is a limit to the demand for
North American Ginseng after all.
With an over production of commercially cultivated material and over
pricing of the wild roots last season raw material is stock piling.
Meanwhile the cultivated roots are barely marketing at production cost and
the Wild Ginseng Market is opening down 65% from last seasons peak levels.

We must remember that last season's record prices for wild roots were just
a blip on the radar screen due to rumors and speculation of both droughts
and elimination of Kentucky harvest exports from the international
marketplace.
With the various States harvest data reports coming in we can begin to see
the amount of "wild simulated root being propagated and the impact it can
have in the marketplace.
Hopefully we can continue implementing regulations that support "wild
simulated propagation methods conserving Ginseng habitat and native
populations in the process.
This will be good for our air, soil, water and business enviroments.

Best regards,
Tony

Anthony J. Hayes, President
Ridge Runner Trading Company, Inc.
P.O. Box 391
Boone, NC 28607
PH: 828.264.3615
herbalogic at yahoo.com

--- On Tue, 8/12/08, Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Hello Tony!  That articles was JUST posted on MPWG before you e-mailed me
- so, good eye and taken care of! Hope all's well.
-P.

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Tony Hayes <herbalogic at yahoo.com>
08/12/2008 08:37 AM

Please respond to
herbalogic at yahoo.com

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
cc

Subject
Ontario Ginseng

Hi Patricia,

I ran across this article and thought you might like to post it with the
MPWG. Please review and respond as you see fit..
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Business/BusinessMonday/2008/08/11/6409011-sun.html

herbalogic at yahoo.com

--- On Thu, 7/24/08, Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
The latest issue of Herbal Dispatch, the newsletter of the Mountain State
University Medicinal Botanicals Program, is now posted at:
http://www.mountainstate.edu/usda/newsletters/

See below for a look at what's inside...

-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 07/24/2008 11:30
AM -----

Dear Subscriber:

Attached is the July 2008 issue of The Herbal Dispatch, the newsletter of
the Mountain State University Medicinal Botanicals Program.

Contents:

- Local Farmer Provides MSU-MBP Land to Conduct Research
- Letters to the Editor
- Best Dandelion Coffee in Town
- Growing Virginia Snakeroot and Fairywand for Profit ? Part III, Final
- Appalachian Plant Profile: Angelica Tree
- Herbs for Women?s Health: Dong Quai
- Effect of garlic on blood pressure: A systematic review and
meta-analysis
- Beckley Uptown Farmer?s Market (Ad)
- Summer County Farmer?s Market (Ad)

We welcome submissions and comments.

Dr. Mario R. Morales, Director
Medicinal Botanicals Program
Mountain State University
Neville Street
Beckley, WV 25801-4511
Phone: 304-929-1683

with
the word "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

Disclaimer
Any advice given on this list regarding diagnosis or treatments etc.
reflects
ONLY the opinion of the individual who posts the message. The information
contained in posts is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for
professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or
question. All medical and other healthcare information that is discussed
on this
list should be carefully reviewed by the individual reader and their
qualified
healthcare professional. Posts do not reflect any official opinions or
positions
of the Plant Conservation Alliance.