[MPWG] Alma Snell, Well-Known Woman, receives honorary doctorate

Robyn Klein robyn at montana.edu
Wed Apr 30 08:31:24 CDT 2008

Dear Friends,

I was honored to attend a ceremony for Alma Snell, Crow herbalist and author
of Grandmother's Grandchild and A Taste of Heritage. Alma has tirelessly
taught in schools and universities the knowledge she learned from her
grandmother Pretty Shield and that which she learned from the herbalists of
today.

I am so pleased to announce that Alma has been awarded an honorary doctorate
degree in Ethnobiology from Montana State University.

While the actual official ceremony will not take place until May 10, the
award was given at her son's home because Alma will not likely survive the
cancer she has been fighting since last fall.

Though bedridden, Alma was in good spirits as she wore the full regalia and
received the
diploma from the MSU representative. Although weak, she lifted the hat off
her head as if to throw it and thanked everyone. Her husband Bill, stood by
her side throughout.

Family, friends, and native elders who had come from as far away as Fort
Belknap listened in the living room while close family members, two
professors from the Native American Studies program and myself were in
attendance in the bedroom. President Gamble called to confer the doctorate
and his gracious speech of honor echoed through the living room speaker so
all could hear.

Speeches were made and my pitiful one acknowledged all the work she has done
for herbalists all over the world and our gratefulness for her
contributions.

I was given permission to announce this happy occasion and to invite you all
to send cards and letters to Alma. Every herbal I have given Alma has been
dog-earred from so much use. You can be sure that she knows the herbals of
Western North America.

From: Grandmother's Grandchild: My Crow Indian Life, by Alma Hogan Snell.
University of Nebraska Press.

Creator, thank you
Creator, thank you
Look for Him
Look for Him
He's looking down
Thank you, thank you

Please email me privately if you would like the address.

Robyn Klein, M.S. Medical Botany, Adjunct Instructor
Department of Plant Sciences & Plant Pathology
Montana State University-Bozeman
robyn at montana.edu