[MPWG] Herb-Medication Interactions Survey

marguerite uhlmann-bower 3moonsisters at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 13:00:41 CDT 2008

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Last year, as part of research effort for our workshop "Weaving Herbs Into
Your Holistic Practice™ ", we conducted a survey of herbalists, naturopaths,
holistic veterinarians and many other holistic practitioners to see if they
had encountered any herb-herb or herb-drug adverse interactions. About 200
wellness seekers participated and we are very thankful for the time everyone
put into it. This year we are doing the same, asking herbal and holistic
practitioners for their input in this on-going research & documentation, and
we are hopeful you will once again share in your experiences. Once completed
and extrapolated, we will make this information available to those
interested.

Just take a few minutes to answer five questions and e-mail them back to us
at *theherbalnurses at gmail.com* <theherbalnurses at gmail.com>. Once we compile
the information, we will make the data available to those that request the
completed document. Just remember to give us your contact info so that we
can email it to you.

In the spirit of the plants.

Blessings in Light & Love,

Bonnie Kavanagh, R.N./Herbalist

Marguerite Uhlmann-Bower, R.N./Herbalist
The Herbal Nurses

This is also in an attachment if you prefer to print out to read.

*

Criteria for determining an adverse herb-drug or herb-herb reaction.*

* Additive effects * Counteractive effects * Paradoxical effects *
Absorption Interactions

* Or was it an expected outcome?

 1) What is your professional title?

Herbalist, Nurse, Aroma Therapist , Botanist, Flower Essence Practitioner,
TCM,

Naturopathic Doctor, Horticulturist, Massage Therapist, Pharmacist,
Counselor, etc.

2) What venue do you work in?

Clinic

               Office

Hospital – ER, OR, ICU, NICU, Med Surg. other

               Pharmacy

               Other

3) Have you ever encountered an herb-drug adverse interaction?

What were the drugs/herbs involved?

What form? Tea, tincture, oil, vinegar, glycerite, pill, salve, etc.

               Was it a reaction? Potentiation? Side Effect? Was it
expected?

        What was the outcome?

4) What are the five most common drugs you encounter in your practice?

5) Does your intake form screen for the use of herbs and over-the-counter
supplements?

Again, thank you all for you time and effort in this. Information on our
upcoming workshops available at
*www.theherbalnurses.com*<http://www.theherbalnurses.com/>(a website
work in progress). Upcoming workshop - Weaving Herbs into Your
Holistic Practice™ April 26th & 27th at Harmony Hill Retreat Center in East
Meredith, NY.

--

Green Blessings,
Sincerely

May our walk be soft and gentle
as we gather our roots once again.

Marguerite Uhlmann-Bower, R.N., Herbalist
TheHerbalNurses™
10517 Turnpike Rd.
East Meredith, NY 13757
(607) 278-9635