[MPWG] ACTION: Union of Concerned Scientists: pledge not to movefirewood

scott harris wildginseng at pronetisp.net
Thu May 31 14:35:40 CDT 2007

Wouldn't this make more sense?

"I pledge not to buy any item from China that was shipped to the U.S. on or
in a wooden crate/box." Maybe "Globalism" isn't such a good idea afterall.

Burning the wood is the best way to get rid of the pest. This is the reason
for "slash and burn" logging sales.

How in the world is anyone going to build a house (from wood) if they are
restricted to use wood only from their county? (Most framing lumber is from
Canada).

Granted, there is some concern about transporting logs and firewood from
county to county, country to country etc., but we all must look at the
larger picture. Will firewood suppliers be required to be registered by the
state? Will wood have to be fumigated before selling? Would this also
include wooden toys or furniture purchased while on vacation? Where does it
end?

Please tell me this dopey childlike "pledge" is a joke? If not, we're in big
trouble.

Scott Harris