[MPWG] mother nature's drugs

Robyn Klein robyn at montana.edu
Wed Mar 21 15:06:47 CDT 2007

Thanks J.N.for listing some of the more well-known plants used to design
drugs. A complete list is hard to find. I tried to put one together once.

I was just trying to point out that natural products are mostly not plants.
Even so, it's not like the drug is actually made from the plant. The plant,
foxglove, is not used, only one of the dozens of compounds it makes; and
this is synthesized from some carbon starting material or the enzyme is
spliced into a genetically-modified yeast and grown in vats to produce the
drug.

Pharmacologists use the molecular structural design of the compound that the
plant makes to produce drugs or synthesizes drugs related to these
compounds. Though in some cases, it is cheaper to use a plant, such as wild
yam or potato to start off the synthetic process.

See my review of Newman and Cragg's paper at:
www.rrreading.com
Click on Journal Reviews Volume 2

By the way, I'd like to point out that while ephedrine is allowed to be sold
over the counter in cold medicines, and amphetamine drugs are big business
(Ritalin), and methamphetamine use is popular (and terribly destructive to
the body and our communities), dietary supplements containing raw Ephedra
are now illegal.

Traditional Chinese herbalists were supposed to have access to Ephedra
sinensis, but just ask them what happened. One told me they can't get the
dried herb anymore, though it would be legal if they could get it. Something
about importation problems. So, they effectively cut out even licensed
practitioners from using Ephedra.

Best Regards, Robyn

Robyn Klein, M.S. Medical Botany, Adjunct Instructor
Department of Plant Sciences & Plant Pathology
Montana State University-Bozeman
www.rrreading.com