[MPWG] Echinacea Pallida:Wild harvest management

penny at pinenut.com penny at pinenut.com
Tue Jun 26 07:23:36 CDT 2007

Two neighboring farmers came to us with a total of about 5 acres of wild
Echinacea Pallida. They are hay farmers and the plants interfere with their
hay production.

We have hand harvested about 400 lbs of dried herb, leaving mature plants to
reseed and have taken no roots. We focused on the field edges and are just
now getting into the very thick portion of the stand.

We have two primary issues:

To convert these areas from hay production to wild crop management, we all
have to make a profit.

The cost of a fair wage for harvesters is killing us. We need to find a
market that will pay about $3.50 lb for wild harvested herb. Without a
profit the landowners will apply fertilizer and kill out the stands and
manage for hay production..This must be done without a great expense for
equipment and processing.  We would hope to develop a long term relationship
with the landowners and certified the field USDA wild crop next year. (this
came too fast for us to do so this year).

#2. We don't the plant's cycle. We have observed that many species have a
3 - 6 year pattern. We see many 1 year plants and don't know the impact of
haying upon them. We are leaving mature seed flowers on the edges of the
stands. However, given what we have been paying for labor, we have to try
something different and a tractor /side mower may be the only way to do
this. Are there guidelines for root extraction in order to keep a healthy
wild population?

All input would be appreciated. We have a blog http://www.wildcrops.com/blog
if anyone wants to follow the harvests and issues.

Penny Frazier

Goods From The Woods

Licking, Mo. 65542

.