[MPWG] An educational presentation

Marjorie Nieh mintresearch at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 12:43:33 CDT 2007

Since my serendipitous discovery of a spearmint decoction that treated my severe migraine attacks,  I have now prepared a rather educational Power Point presentation material on the subject that could be suitable for medical professionals, scientists, students, herbalists, etc.  It comprises of:
  . My discovery and efficacy of the spearmint decoction as antimigraine prophylaxis.
  . The main components of feverfew and butterbur (the known botanical antimigraine remedies), and their bioactivities.
  . Preliminary data on 5-HT receptor binding of spearmint extract vs. carvone, the major component of spearmint.
  . An brief discussion of  lipophilic vs. hydrophilic components of botanicals: steam distilled volatiles vs. aqueous extracts, citing spearmint as an example.
  . An insight of stereochemistry (carvone is a pair of mirror images, whose odors and origins are distinctly different).
  . A brief discussion on terpenoids.
  . It all ties into further research on spearmint decoction as antimigraine prophlaxis and a clearer view of how botanicals are being processed and used.

  With this in mind, I wonder if you, your students or other organizations would be interested in my presentation, that combines a new discovery in conjunction with a brief review of some key topics of organic chemistry needed in herbal medicine.

  Thanks,

Marjorie Nieh,Ph.D.
Independent Scholar
Rensselaer, NY