[MPWG] MIKULSKI ANNOUNCES INCREASED FUNDING FOR FDA, MARYLAND ’S AGRICULTURE INITIATIVE

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Tue Jul 24 11:49:41 CDT 2007

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                   CONTACT:        Melissa Schwartz
July 19, 2007 202-228-1122

http://mikulski.senate.gov

MIKULSKI ANNOUNCES INCREASED FUNDING FOR FDA, MARYLAND’S AGRICULTURE
INITIATIVES

Spending bill also includes increased funding for FDA’s Office of Women’s
Health

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senator Barbara A. Mikulski (D-Md.), a member of the
Senate Appropriations Committee, today announced the Agriculture, Rural
Development and Food and Drug Administration 2008 spending bill includes
$90.6 billion in federal funding for Department of Agriculture (USDA)
initiatives, including agricultural research and education programs,
natural resources conservation programs, domestic food assistance programs
and rural housing, economic and community development throughout the
country.  The legislation, passed by the full Senate Appropriations
Committee this afternoon, also funds the Food and Drug Administration
(FDA), headquartered in Maryland.
“Every community around the country is impacted by this federal funding.
In Maryland, it means good news for our agriculture and farming
industries, and all of our hardworking employees at FDA,” said Senator
Mikulski.  “I applaud the people who work on Maryland’s farms, and in our
federal labs, universities and other research facilities for their
commitment.  I will continue to fight to put money in the federal
checkbook to support their important work.”
The bill provides $1.75 billion for the FDA, a $186 million increase over
last year’s funding request.  The funding includes a 25 percent increase
for the Office of Women’s Health, funded at $5 million this year.  Since
1994, Senator Mikulski has championed increased funding for the Office of
Women’s Health, which has received approximately $4 million a year since
2002.
“For 16 years, the Office of Women’s Health has led the way in improving
the health and well-being of women across the United States.  It ensures
that women’s needs are safeguarded when drugs and medical devices are
evaluated, and they serve as advocates for women’s health research
programs and activities,” said Senator Mikulski.  “It is critical that we
make sure women are not left behind when it comes to their health.”
Senator Mikulski also secured $500,000 for the Appalachian Center for
Ethnobotanical Studies at Frostburg State University in Allegany County.
The center, which collaborates with the University of Maryland
Biotechnology Institute, will continue researching the medicinal uses of
native plants and promote this industry for economic development purposes
in Appalachia.

In the next step of the appropriations process, the bill will move to the
Senate floor for a vote, which has not yet been scheduled.

# # #