[MPWG] 2007 American Herbalists Guild Symposium - Columbia, MD - October 2007

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Wed Aug 1 10:41:13 CDT 2007

Forwarding an announcement for the upcoming American Herbalists Guild (
AHG) Symposium.  In addition to exploring the application and
use of particular medicinals, they will cover important overarching issues
such as:

"Evaluating the Evidence for the Efficacy and Safety of Western Herbal
Medicine
Donna Odierna
Increasingly, scientific research is being used to evaluate herbs and
herbal
medicine. We will discuss the philosophy of research, examine study
designs,
and evaluate studies that have appeared in the scientific literature. When
is
using evidence from positivist, reductionist studies appropriate and
sufficient?
How can we determine whether or not studies are well-designed and if
results are valid? What other methods can be used evaluate our tools and
practices?"

"Qualitative Research in Herbal Medicine
Christopher Hedley
Research in herbal medicine is mostly set in a non-holistic framework of
little relevance to actual herbal practice. The herbal community needs to
evolve a structure research that is practitioner lead and practice based -
journey that we can travel together. In its heart herbal medicine never
changes but the public perception of it has changed dramatically over the
last few decades and our perception of our public role is, as a result, in
flux.
What does it mean to be an herbalist in the 21st century? Is there any
consensus
amongst herbalists as to the meaning of modern herbal medicine?
What importance do we give to traditional, intuitive skills? Christopher
will
outline methods of research that we can apply together in an attempt to
answer these questions. The workshops are designed to stand alone but they
will inform each other."

Read on!
-Patricia

Beyond the Basics, Beyond the Books:
Clinical Botanical Medicine in Real Life

American Herbalists Guild’s 18th Annual Symposium
October 26-28, 2007, preconference intensives on October 25
Sheraton Columbia: Columbia, Maryland

The AHG was founded in 1989 as a non-profit, educational organization to
represent the goals and needs of herbalists specializing in the medicinal
use of plants. Our primary goal is to promote a high level of
professionalism and education in the study and practice of therapeutic
herbalism. Our Annual Symposium is widely regarded as one of the
preeminent conferences on botanical medicine, offering over 35 workshops
by leading practitioners and researchers. This year’s faculty includes
Paul Bergner  Mary Bove  Candia Cantin  Amanda McQuade Crawford  Jerry
Cott  Jim Duke  Christopher Hobbs  Roberta Lee  Simon Mills  Aviva Romm
James Snow  Michael Tierra  David Winston, and many others.

We expect to offer continuing education credits for nurses, pharmacists,
acupuncturists, and naturopathic physicians. For information contact: AHG,
141 Nob Hill Road, Cheshire, CT 06410. Ph: 203/272/6731. Fax:
203/272/8550. Email:ahgoffice at earthlink.net. Or visit our website at
www.americanherbalistsguild.com for program details and registration.

Tracy Romm, EdD
Executive Director, American Herbalists Guild
Managing Editor, Journal of the American Herbalists Guild
(voice) 203.272.6731
(fax) 203.272.8550