[MPWG] Looking for info on Sweet Flag

Chip Carroll chipc at ruralaction.org
Wed Mar 29 14:29:40 CST 2006

Try looking up: Aswini Pai on Google.  I don't have her current contact
information.

Aswini was a graduate student at Ohio University studying Calamus and has a
wealth of information on it.

Also I have read (not sure where) that trappers throughout the east would
routinely plant it along their trap lines so that it was available to them
when they were out running their lines and would be away from home for long
periods of time.  It was used by trappers for upset stomach and stomach
ailments according to what I remember reading.

We have found small patches on this property in what is now a mature
hardwood forest.  It was growing near wet/spring sites and not far from an
old farm site from the 1800's.  The settlers may have planted it there or
it may have been planted beforehand by trappers or Native Americans.

Very interesting.

Chip

At 03:44 PM 3/29/2006, you wrote:

>I am looking for information concerning the possible correlation between
>Sweet Flag (Acorus americanus -possibly A. calamus) and heritage resource
>sites.  A number of publications and web sites have pointed towards this
>notion, for instance, the Flora of North America states, "Native Americans
>probably played a significant role in the present day distribution of
>Acorus americanus because Sweet Flag rhizomes and plants were valued by
>many groups and were objects of trade.  Disjunct populations occur in
>localities that are often near old Native American village sites or camping
>areas."  However, a botanical survey in the Dempsey Divide Study Area of
>Oklahoma is the only research I have come across to substantiate this
>interesting observation.  I understand it was used both medicinally and
>ceremonially, but what about this use caused it to be so highly valued as
>to affect its distibution in North America.  Any ideas?
>Thanks!
>

>*************************************
>Brandee Wenzel
>Wilderness Technician -BWCAW
>bwenzel at fs.fed.us
>
>Disclaimer
>Any advice given on this list regarding diagnosis or treatments etc.
>reflects ONLY the opinion of the individual who posts the message. The
>information contained in posts is not intended nor implied to be a
>substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific
>medical condition or question. All medical and other healthcare
>information that is discussed on this list should be carefully reviewed by
>the individual reader and their qualified healthcare professional. Posts
>do not reflect any official opinions or positions of the Plant
>Conservation Alliance.

Chip Carroll
NTFP Research Education & Demonstration Coordinator
Rural Action Forestry
Appalachian Forest Resource Center
33560 Beech Grove Rd.
Rutland, Ohio 45775