[MPWG] Poaching, was re: ginseng/hemlock

Bob Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 6 13:29:37 CST 2006

Hi all
I really don't think you can hide ginseng from poachers. It is like trying
to hide the holiday presents from your teenage kids! I have thoughts on
poaching ginseng that may be somewhat relevant to other medicinal plants.
Bob

Thoughts on Poaching Ginseng

I think it is time to make the distinction between poaching and grand
larceny. In the South and Midwest where much rural land is owned by large
utility companies and the Federal government, hunting, fishing and poaching
ginseng on this land have become accepted practices among some local
residents. When the victim of poaching is a large, perhaps unknowing and
seemingly uncaring corporate entity it is difficult for me to become too
upset by local people harvesting a resource that they may have planted
themselves or at least have tended over many years, especially if they have
stewarded that resource, protecting it from deer and other threats and are
the main reason it still exists.  I have seen ginseng patches destined for
development successfully transplanted elsewhere on public property
unbeknownst to the property owners. In NY when I think of poaching, I think
about shooting an extra deer or perhaps taking a deer out of season for
food. In many cases it does appear to be a victimless crime. (unless you
are a deer of course!)

When it comes to stealing someone's private property, almost literally from
a back yard or adjacent to a house, then it is time to become outraged.
There is no justification for outright thievery nor is there any excuse for
ignoring such behavior by dealers who knowingly purchase that ginseng.  The
NY State and most other state's ginseng regulations clearly state that wild
ginseng may only be gathered on private property with permission of the
property owners during the official harvest season. Diggers selling wild
ginseng should be prepared to show proof of landowner permission when they
sell their roots. If this means sharing some of the money from sale of the
roots with the landowner, so be it. When one hunts and kills deer on
someone's else's property with permission, it is traditional and proper to
offer the landowner some of the bounty.

I strongly suspect that much of what is sold today as "wild" ginseng is in
fact "wild simulated". This is ginseng that somebody planted years ago
either on private or public land. In some cases the seed was gathered from
wild plants but in many cases it was purchased from elsewhere. Generations
of diggers have nurtured this resource and in many cases have prevented it
from being extirpated in a given area. It is time for ginseng growers and
diggers to get rid of their presumed cover of being anonymous. If you are
anonymous or invisible how can anyone steal from you?  If you "secretly"
grow ginseng on your property and someone steals it from you what recourse
do you have? How can you even prove that you had something stolen? You may
think you have a secure and well protected spot but in fact your "secret"
garden may be well known among local thieves who are just waiting for it to
become worth their effort to steal.

      So, what is a digger/grower to do? Here are a few important steps.
First, assume that your private patch is not really private at all. Expect
to be a target and act accordingly. Document every seed you plant and every
rootlet you transplant. Save receipts from seeds purchased and all supplies
used to grow your crop. Take many, many photos of your crop each and every
year. Record everything you have growing and it's approximate value. This
will help to justify a theft loss on your income taxes should one occur.
Check with your insurance company to see if your ginseng crop is covered
against theft loss. Let the local Cooperative Extension agricultural agent
know you are a grower as well as your local Farm Service Agency Director.
Show them your gardens so they will be able to corroborate your story
should you get ripped off.  Put a fence around the garden and post it well.
Nothing quite denotes ownership more then a fence even if it is only a
three foot chicken wire enclosure.

If your garden is worth significant money, spend some money to protect it!
Motion activated "Critter Gitter" alarms cost about $60. Fake video cameras
cost about $10 each, real ones cost more but the technology exists today
that allows monitoring a garden one half mile from your house while
watching it on your TV monitor. Would you leave the keys to your Lexus in
the ignition and leave it parked on the street in an unknown neighborhood
when you went away on vacation?  Avoid the temptation to install "booby"
traps. At best, anyone hurt by a "booby" trap, even a lowlife thief, will
likely be able to successfully sue you for using it.  At worst you will
maim or kill an innocent person.

Finally, be prepared to do whatever it takes to catch and prosecute the
thief. I know a very successful grower in West Virginia who is well known
locally as someone who will spend $1,000 if necessary to catch a thief who
steals $100 worth of his ginseng. Consequently, no one steals his ginseng.
If we can develop and support a significant ginseng industry we need to
make ourselves well known to agency people, politicians and police.