[MPWG] MPWG Digest, Vol 31, Issue 6

Tony Hayes herbalogic at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 12:08:42 CST 2006

I would not use Hemlock as a natural canopy for Ginseng or other woodland perennial propagation.
  First, hemlocks give off toxins that inhibit growth of other competitive  species  within the drip line of the tree naturally. The area directly beneath the drip line and above the root area are usually barren.
  Secondly, Hemlocks are currently under attack by multiple insect species:
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/fhp/hwa/other_hemlock_pests.htm

  Tulip poplar is a natural companion species and a good choice as a Ginseng canopy.

  I do recommend using a mixed species over story versus just another pine monoculture.

  I have seen Ginseng planted under many a  white pine plantation  in NW. NC and N. GA. over the years. Usually weeding is less of a chore but soil amendments  to balance pH and other nutrients balanced or outweighed the weeding costs.

  Most of us just have to make the best use of what we already have available though.

  If your potential site is outside the natural range of Ginseng you will have many obstacles to overcome. However it can be accomplished.

  Tony

Michael Schenk <schenkmj at earthlink.net> wrote:
  List,

I'd like to thank everyone who has responded to my question with information about ginseng under pine. I'm planning a future planting area, and the comments were very helpful.

A forester offered me loblolly seedlings, and before accepting them, I wanted to get more information. Loblolly is a fast-growing, lowland, coastal plain type pine, but it seems to do OK in the bottom lands. I think i'll go with tulip poplar for that location for the fast-growing aspect, and add some white pine (native) and hemlock (native) in a hopeful attempt to mislead future poachers.

Gratefully,

Mike

One comment, usually loblolly pine and American ginseng don't share the same ecoregions
or other soil/climate requirements. One would therefore never observe ginseng in
the wild under a loblolly. Here in WNC I've seen it at the dripline of hemlocks
and somtimes around white pine,,, but once again loblolly does not grow here, at
least not naturally or particularly well for that matter.

Robin