[MPWG] 20th Annual Lahr Symposium & Native Plant Sale - Native Plants: Cultivating a Sustainable Future - March 25, 2006 - Washington DC

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Mar 3 12:28:41 CST 2006

Looks like there might be something for everyone at this year's Lahr
Symposium.
-Patricia

20th Annual Lahr Symposium
Native Plants: Cultivating a Sustainable Future
March 25, 8:30am-3:30pm
U. S. National Arboretum, Administration Building Auditorium
3501 New York Ave. NE
Washington, DC    20002

Continuing in the 20-year tradition of the Lahr Symposium, this
year’s program brings together thought provoking topics concerning
the natural world and our human attempts to be a positive presence in
nature’s garden. The day’s speakers will address our understanding
of what is—and is not—native; the conditions under which natural
diversity flourishes; and how our personal landscapes can be transformed
from mere ornamental spaces to be become genuine environmental assets.
Symposium participants can shop early—8-10am—at the Native Plant
Sale. For program brochure, fees, and symposium registration form, call
202-245-5898 or visit www.usna.usda.gov .

More on the speakers/agenda:
Native Plants Revisited -- Dr. Art Tucker delves into the cultural and
scientific
basis for definitions of native, alien, and invasive plants.

A Plant Hunter’s Bounty -- Ron Lance introduces noteworthy trees and
shrubs from U.S. southeastern forests that reflect the
unique distributions, aesthetics, and dendrological
curiosities abundant in that region.

Concurrent Sessions — Select one among A-D:

A. Native Plants from Soil to Blossom
Frances Boninti presents what it takes, from a plant’s
point of view, to grow beautifully.

B. Cooking with the Sweet Sisters of the East
Katherine Dillon shares her passion for heritage foods
and what she has learned about the Sweet Sisters of the
East—paw-paws, persimmons, and strawberries.

C. It’s Not Your Old Soil Conservation Service
John Englert reveals results the Natural Resources
Conservation Service has produced over the past decade,
in its new role as a leading promoter of native plant
conservation, propagation, and ecological restoration.

D. Our Backyard Wonder–the Potomac River Gorge
Stephanie Flack re-introduces us to our own backyard
and its natural wonder, the Potomac River George.

The American Cottage Garden – New Resourceful Paradigms
for the Small Scale -- Marcus de la Fleur believes it’s time for a new
American cottage garden paradigm. He looks to a
new standard based on elements that honor the unique
cultural context of every piece of land.

- - - - -

Native Plant Sale
March 25, 10:00am-2:00pm
U.S. National Arboretum
Plant Sales Area across street from National Bonsai & Penjing Museum

The best native plant nurseries of the region gather here to offer you
a wide selection of nursery-propagated native wildflowers, trees,
shrubs, and more at this annual sale. A portion of the proceeds supports
the arboretum’s Native Plant Collection. This event is sponsored by
the Friends of the National Arboretum. Free. No registration required.