[MPWG] Ginseng and loblolly

Bob Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 3 10:14:09 CST 2006

I have found wild ginseng under white pine, red pine and hemlock. I have
seen it grown reasonably well under red pine. This past fall I planted one
half acre of ginseng in a red pine plantation. I would suggest a soil test
first to ascertain soil calcium levels of at least 1,500 pounds per acre.
If pH is higher than 6.0 that is pretty much a given. If soil calcium is
less than 500 pounds per acre I would not even try it. If 500 to 1,500
pounds per acre I would supplement (top dress or pre plant incorporate)
with 50 pounds of gypsum per 1,000 square feet of bed and plan to apply it
annually.
Bob Beyfuss