[MPWG] Questions about New Dietary Ingredients

wendy.applequist at mobot.org wendy.applequist at mobot.org
Thu Jan 5 11:01:11 CST 2006

Where the first question below is concerned, a new dietary ingredient only
has to be approved once (I could imagine FDA trying to dodge this, but so
far they have not).  However, approval is not easy.  Presenting evidence of
millennia of safe use as a medicine counts for little or nothing and can
actually work against you, because it suggests bioactivity, of which FDA is
deeply suspicious.  FDA chooses to treat dietary supplements sometimes more
like conventional foods and sometimes more like drugs, and in this case they
interpret "safety" to mean safety as a conventional food.  (Of course,
spices and culinary herbs would not meet a standard that demanded that you
could eat a heaping plate of whatever it was for dinner every night without
suffering any undesired bioactivities.)

Using the excuse of feared bioterrorism, Congress a couple of years ago
empowered FDA to register and inspect *all* producers and handlers of food,
require them to document who purchased every batch (retail outlets
exempted), etc.  Part of this included the requirement that every foreign
manufacturer who wishes to sell in the U.S. must register with the American
FDA and allow inspections of their facilities on demand, as well as
providing advance notice of every shipment to be made.  Foreign
manufacturers selling to American buyers therefore are supposed to comply
with all American standards, which would include use only of legal
ingredients.  As for exports, anything that is made in this country is
directly regulated by FDA, whether it is for export or domestic use.

As for the second question, I suspect that it is illegal to mail unapproved
products to buyers in the U.S. but that such individual-scale commerce is
left alone because enforcement would be too difficult.  Travelers can bring
most FDA-unapproved prescription drugs into the country for their personal
use, so I presume that mail-order purchasers of unapproved products (so long
as they had no recreational use) would not face legal risk, only the
sellers.

Wendy