[MPWG] American ginseng public meetings

Patricia_Ford at fws.gov Patricia_Ford at fws.gov
Mon Jan 2 15:10:10 CST 2006

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is hosting three public meetings on
American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius).
The meeting dates are: January 31, 2006, 2:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., Moon Township
(near Pittsburgh International Airport), PA.; February 10, 2006, 8 a.m. to
12 noon, Asheville, NC.; and February 15, 2006, 8 a.m. to 12 noon,
Indianapolis, IN. The purpose of these meetings is to discuss the Federal
regulatory framework for the export of American ginseng and how these
regulations control the international trade of American ginseng.  We will
also discuss the different CITES definitions as they are applied to
American ginseng grown under different production systems and how these
systems affect the export of ginseng roots.  In anticipation of our 2006
and future findings, we are seeking comments from the public on the wild
status, production, and export of American ginseng.  We are most interested
in any new information on the status and biology of wild American ginseng,
and the production and export of wild-simulated and woodsgrown American
ginseng.

The FR notice is: December 29, 2005 (Volume 70, Number 249)], pages
77177-77178.

To view the Federal Register notice announcing the meetings please use the
following URL:

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01jan20051800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2005/pdf/E5-8014.pdf

In addition, the public meeting on Jan. 31 from 2:30 to 6:00 pm., the
public is invited to listen to researchers present their current work on
American ginseng from 8:00 to 12:15 at the same location.

If you would like to attend or have any questions about the meetings,
please contact Pat Ford after Jan. 6, 2006 at: patricia_ford at fws.gov; or
Anne St John at: anne_stjohn at fws.gov.

Pat Ford
Botanist