[MPWG] Electronic Public Discussion: Evaluating the InvasivePotential of Imported Plants

Sara Eisenberg eisassoc at bcpl.net
Thu Dec 21 17:31:45 CST 2006

Returned form travel to find this lively discussion. In The Extra American
Pharmacopoeia (in Gladstar's Planting the Future), herbalist David Winston
suggested that some of these "invasives" have a history and potential future
for medicinal use - converting their profusion from a problem to an
opportunity, and opening up the current American use of herbs to a broader
numberof  medicines. See the spring '06 issue of the Journal of the American
Herbalists Guild for a literature review exploring these premises that I did
on Lythrum salicaria - from research on the introduction of "natural
predator" beetles, to efforts to organize teams of volunteers to eradicate
the plant, to research into its potential as a food preservative!