[MPWG] NEWS: Ancient Minty Painkiller Worked, Modern Study Suggests

pankaj oudhia pankajoudhia at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 10:16:45 CDT 2006

Mentha is in use in this way in many parts of the world. This research have confirmed again that our forefathers were not less than the modern experts and we must respect our traditional medicinal knowledge. I feel instead of developing new products based on such studies and getting benefit by few, actual benefit must reach to the countries and communities from where this knowledge has emerged. Here is my work on this medicinal herb
  Traditional medicinal knowledge about Pudina (Mentha sp. Family: Labiatae), in Chhattisgarh, India

http://www.botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/265_mentha.html

  regards
  Pankaj Oudhia

Olivia Kwong <plant at plantconservation.org> wrote:
  http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060828/sc_space/ancientmintypainkillerworkedmodernstudysuggests

Ancient Minty Painkiller Worked, Modern Study Suggests

Heather Whipps
Special to LiveScience
LiveScience.com Mon Aug 28, 12:30 PM ET

The doctors of ancient Greece and China had it right when they applied
cool and minty salves to soothe aches and pains, a new study suggests.

A synthetic treatment with the same properties as mint oil is an effective
painkiller when applied directly to the skin. The new cooling compounds
could be especially beneficial to millions suffering with the chronic pain
of arthritis and diseases affecting nerve endings, scientists say.

Check the link above for the full article text.

Disclaimer
Any advice given on this list regarding diagnosis or treatments etc. reflects ONLY the opinion of the individual who posts the message. The information contained in posts is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. All medical and other healthcare information that is discussed on this list should be carefully reviewed by the individual reader and their qualified healthcare professional. Posts do not reflect any official opinions or positions of the Plant Conservation Alliance.