[MPWG] Fw: [PCA] medicinal plant information

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Wed Aug 16 15:59:22 CDT 2006

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 08/16/2006 04:59
PM -----

"Johnson, Brian" <brianjohnson at bbg.org>
Sent by: native-plants-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
08/16/2006 04:10 PM

<native-plants at lists.plantconservation.org>
cc

Subject
[PCA] medicinal plant information

Dear all,
Botanic Gardens Conservation International (U.S.) is developing a
classroom curriculum module about plant conservation for middle school
students.  The curriculum will involve six 50-minute class periods, with a
culminating visit to a botanic garden or arboretum.  The lessons focus on
the importance of plants, basic plant biology, and threats to plants
worldwide.  One of the lessons about the importance of plants will focus
on medicinal plants.  Our curriculum team is seeking information on
approximately 20 medicinal plants.  The specific information they are
seeking for each plant is:
·        Chemical name of compound
·        Chemical formula
·        Name of plant it comes from
·        Geographic region where the plant is found
·        Impact the compound has on the human body (What does it do? How
does it work? How do doctors use it?)

I am reaching out to the PCA community for any assistance anyone may be
able to provide.  Is anyone willing to share or help find this
information, or to be a contact for our curriculum writers?

Many thanks,
Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson
Education Officer
Botanic Gardens Conservation International (U.S.)
brian.johnson at bgci.org
www.bgci.org

Mailing address:
1000 Washington Ave.
Brooklyn, NY  11225-1099
718.623.7215 (phone)
718.941.4774 (fax)

Sign up for Education E-update, BGCI (U.S.)'s monthly plant conservation
education email newsletter: http://www.bgci.org/usa/newsletter/signup.html
.

Disclaimer
This confidential e-mail is for the addressee only. If received in error,
do not retain/copy/disclose it without our consent, please return it to
us, and delete it and all copies from your system.  We virus scan and
monitor all e-mails, but are not responsible for any damage caused by a
virus or alteration by a third party after being sent.  Please note that
BGCI reserves the right to monitor e-mails for the purpose of monitoring
communications relevant to BGCI’s operations under the Telecommunications
(lawful business practice) (interception of communications) Regulations
2000.

Disclaimer
Posts on this list reflect only the opinion of the individual who is
posting the message; they are not official opinions or positions of the
Plant Conservation Alliance.