[MPWG] Plant Salvage

AngelGdnr at aol.com AngelGdnr at aol.com
Mon Sep 5 13:11:15 CDT 2005

I have to agree that plant salvage is an important thing to do even though
what we are able to do seems like a drop in the bucket without more concerted
efforts being made.
 I have recently begun a GIS study of Black Cohosh populations in Georgia.
Most of the data I am gathering at this point is coming from "plant rescue
sites"  that the Georgia Native Plant Society is permitted to rescue from soon to
be developed areas. Naturally, I rescue them as well.

It looks like what the study will really begin to show is the diminishing
populations of this wonderful medicinal plant in North, GA.  There is a lot of
development going on as Atlanta stretches into rural areas. Does anyone think it
might be useful to document the diminishing populations of medicinal plants?
Does anyone want to join this effort, advise or provide funding for this
project?

I would like to see best practices, laws and permitting restrictions put in
place that would compel developers and local goverments to  firmly protect
"green assets" and  to open a development site up for plant rescue so that
concerned citizens could sign a liability waiver and take care of these plants that
will be destroyed.  It could be done in an organized way, and developers,
including the goverment could begin show some environmental conscience and
responsibility.

There are many opportunities for partnerships to be formed and
community,buisness and govermental cooperation to happen here.
I think it is good to continue dialogue with developers, stakeholders and
govermental organizations to find out the "bottom line" reasons and concerns
around allowing "salvage" to go on prior to development and work with them on
resolving those objections.  At the very least there could be a relaxing of
restrictions placed on conservation efforts.
 It is unacceptable that concerned people have to be faced with doing
something illegal (i.e., trespassing) or to do nothing.

The findings of the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment which involved 1,300
scientist from 95 countries show that "more that 60% of the ecological functions
of the global ecosystems have already been degraded by human activity"
(ArcNews, Summer 2005).  The article which is titled "USGS's The National Map Helps
Calculate the Value of Natural Systems" goes on to say "We must learn to
recognize the true value of nature-both in an economic sense and in the richness it
provides our lives.  Above all, protection of these assets can no longer be
seen as an option to be considered once more pressing concerns of wealth creation
and national security have been dealt with."

In light of all we know, how can we not consider the importance, (even to
drug companies) of the medicinal plants and the biodiversity of this planet.
Again, opportunities for partnerships and cooperation.

Sincerely,
DeAnna Hohnhorst
GIS Apprentice
Decatur, GA