[MPWG] quick question about ginseng use

Bob Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 28 08:42:45 CDT 2005

Hi All,
Both Asian and American Ginseng roots, leaves, and fruit are chock full of
saponins.  What are considered as the active ingredients in ginseng, namely
the ginsenocides, are saponins. These substances are wonderfully soothing
on one's hands.  The nicest job in the whole ginseng business is macerating
the berries with your hands to free the seeds from the pulp. This is
usually done in 5 gallon pails half filled with berries. After 10 minutes
of this work, your hands and cuticles feel wonderfully soft. The pulp is
then floated off and the seeds are left. It is by far the nicest hand
treatment I have ever experienced.
Bob