[MPWG] ARTICLE: Poachers Looting National Parks of Treasures

scott harris wildginseng at pronetisp.net
Tue Oct 25 19:06:23 CDT 2005

Olivia,

Please check out this site
http://www.cgfi.org/materials/articles/2002/jan_2_02.htm and then tell me
that the USFWS, Dept. of Interior et al, have any credibility left. The link
you posted about poachers depleting our "National Treasures" like black
bear, butterflies, ginseng etc. overlooks the fact that our greatest
National Treasure is FREEDOM.

Big government, CITES, USFWS and the Dept. of Interior seem to have made it
their goal to limit every freedom we have left. Granted, poaching does occur
on both Federal and private lands, but the biggest culprits work under the
auspices of the Federal Government.

Perhaps this self-described "old-timer," Skip Wissinger should be planting
some ginseng seeds while traversing the 300 square mile park????

>From the article: "If there's something with a dollar amount attached to it
in a park, somebody is trying to make a profit off it," said Dennis Barnett,
law enforcement administrator for the Park Service." Does this include the
private concessions in parks, where private companies submit bids to the
Federal government to run concession services?

I believe it was Jim Corbin who developed the dye used for ginseng roots and
I commend him for his dedication and long hours of work to thwart ginseng
poaching. However, until we (registered ginseng dealers) are issued the
electronic equipment to detect these poached roots at the point of purchase,
it will not have any effect on the illegal harvesting of ginseng from state
parks. If, for some reason, the USFWS would find or should I say appropriate
the funds from the already overburdened tax payers to issue us such
detection equipment, this brings up the question of what would the ginseng
dealer do if he found 'marked' roots? Will we be deputized as Federal Agents
with the authority to arrest and hold the 'criminal'? Do we go ahead and buy
the roots and then report the digger to the USFWS only to have them
confiscated and we wait 5 years or more to be reimbursed for monies paid out
for said illegal roots?

I have, for the past ten years, done all I can to do to convince the
agencies that oversee the harvest of wild ginseng that all root harvesters
need to be registered and attend classes on ethical harvesting. My calls for
such legislation have been ignored or passed off with lame excuses that "we
don't have the funds...". If they can fund projects as described in the
above link that I suggest you read and post to all MPWG members then they
can find the money to educate the harvesters.

Just another attempt to bring some logic to the surface and inform the
general public about the real agenda of the Endangered Species Act, CITES
restrictions and "facts" based on junk science.

Scott Harris
Sylvan Botanicals
Cooperstown, NY
www.catskillginseng.com