[MPWG] Medicinal Plant Statistics

Lori Carns lori at animaherbs.com
Mon Nov 21 02:59:45 CST 2005

Hello Everyone,

I am still compiling information to be included on the
MPWG website.  Thank you to everyone who has assisted
with this so far!

I now am looking for some statistics, and hope someone
can provide direction.  The requested information is:
a)the percent of medicines in the US that originated
from plants, and b)the percent of medicines that still
utilize plant material.  This is both for
pharmaceutical and OTC drugs.

Resources I have utilized so far are the USDA website
and other links I found there; didn't find anything in
any of those places.  I have quotes from two
individuals, one who said it's 25 - 50%, but hard to
know for sure for several reasons; and the other who
said that it's 10-25% of currently used
pharmaceuticals.

I am looking for a source I can cite (something that
at least resembles "hard evidence!"), and provide a
weblink if possible.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Best Wishes,

Lori