[MPWG] advice on ayurveda

padma kumar elankom2002 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 6 06:16:04 CST 2005

Hello,

I recently purchased an Ayurvedic medicine for my mother who is suffering from
severe arthritis in the knee. The product was dispensed by an ayurvedic physician
from his clinic here in India. In local language it is called "kashayam" and it is
supposed to be consumed twice a day, a cupfull each time. The medicine does
seem to have an effect and my mother says there is some relief.
Now my dilemna is that, of late I have come across several newspaper reports of
ayurvedic preparations containing steroids and some metal substances. This is
very depressing to me because on the one hand the medicine my mother takes
is effective and on the other hand I have no way of knowing if it contains harmful
substances. Does any one know of how to go about finding the presence of
harmful substances like steroids in ayurvedic products?

regards,
padmakumar