[MPWG] Membership Matters - November 2005

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu Nov 3 16:25:58 CST 2005

News and Information for Medicinal Plant Working Group (MPWG) Listserve
Members, from the MPWG Chair

Hi Everyone!

This newsletter will be devoted primarily to the Medicinal Plant Working
Group (MPWG) listserve.  There have been some nice, hearty discussions over
the list lately (and some not so nice).  Most of the information below is
dedicated to dispelling some myths and to providing reminders about the
listserve.  There is also a reminder about the upcoming PCA Cooperator's
Meeting in St. Louis, November 7-9, 2005.  I hope to meet you there!

In this e-mail.

      Welcome New Members - Our listserve continues to grow!
      About the MPWG Listserve - Facts and myths
      Listserve Posting Guidelines - Do's and don't's
      Listserve Archives - Where to find them, how to use them
      PCA Cooperators Meeting - See you November 7-9 in St. Louis!

If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions, please e-mail me at:
<Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov>.

Thanks!
Patricia

- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- -

Welcome New Members!

As of today, we have 323 members on our listserve!  I have not had the
chance to contact each of you personally, but I do want to know who’s out
there.  If you get a chance, drop me a line!  Tell me what you do, where
you live, why are you interested in medicinal plants and why you joined the
listserve.  My e-mail is: Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov.

About the MPWG Listserve

Fact or Myth?  Here are three important facts that should help to dispel
some common myths about our list:

- FACT: Membership is open to everyone.  Subscription is voluntary and
free.
- FACT: The list does not belong to the government.  It is hosted by a
privately paid for web server account.  This has been done to provide an
open forum for discussion of issues.  All that is asked for in return for
the list being hosted is that discussion be done with a mature tone and
open mind, as outlined by the posting guidelines.
- FACT: The list is not moderated.  However, members are asked to follow
the posting guidelines (see below).

Listserve Posting Guidelines

Do's and Don't's:  Our listserve allows us to explore the sustainable use
and conservation of medicinal plants in North America.  We encourage
postings that:

->DO generate and share information regarding species of medicinal and
economic importance and conservation concern;
->DO promote appropriate conservation measures for native medicinal plants;
->DO promote sustainable production of native medicinal plants;
->DO increase participation in native medicinal plant conservation;
->DO encourage active participation by Tribes and other holders of
traditional native medicinal plant knowledge; and,
->DO follow the posting guidelines.  The listserve posting guidelines are
available at: <http://www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal/mpwglist.htm>.  E-mails
that violate these guidelines will result in a personal warning to the
offending listserve member(s).  Continued abuse of the posting guidelines
will result in removal from the list.

Some items that are not appropriate to post over this listserve are:
X DON'T diagnose ailments
X DON'T suggest specific treatment options
X DON'T post commercial ads

Listserve Archives

The listserve archives go back to September 2003!  To see previous
messages, go to
<http://cpanel.wispme.com/pipermail/mpwg_lists.plantconservation.org/>.
Unfortunately, we do not have a search engine for the e-mails.  So, for
now, just click and read!  However, be aware that the archives ARE
cataloged by Google, so your messages get searched when folks search via
Google.

PCA Cooperator's Meeting

Who?  The Plant Conservation Alliance (PCA) and the Center for Plant
Conservation (CPC) extends an invitation to all NGO cooperators.

What?  To attend the first organizational meeting of the PCA-NGO Committee.

Where?  St. Louis, MO

When? November 7-9, 2005

Why?  This meeting will gather the opinions and ideas of PCA cooperators,
explore the topics of native plant materials development, NGO priorities
and ideas for improved effectiveness of the PCA.

Is your organization a Cooperator?  Check at:
<http://www.nps.gov/plants/coop.htm>.

If your organization is currently listed as Cooperator, but you have not
been contacted, please let us know.

If your organization is not yet a PCA Cooperator, your organization can
request to become one by filling out the form at
<http://www.nps.gov/plants/coopform.pdf>. FAX the completed form to:
Attn: Olivia Kwong, FAX: 202-452-7702.