[MPWG] A. canadensis re new book and NC Medicinal herb project

Cafesombra at aol.com Cafesombra at aol.com
Thu Nov 3 09:11:36 CST 2005

Thanks for these comments Wendy, good points.

Maybe I am out of it which is likely, but is there any real consolidated
effort to counter these FDA bans?  I am sure ABC and AHPA are working  on it, and
maybe you or someone can just kindly direct me to a webpage  detailing the
efforts.  But it is extremely ludicrous to me that FDA is  banning and
restricting "toxic" herbs like A. canadensis, Comfrey, Borage and  the like, when they
not necessarily banning toxic OTCs and pharmeceuticals  and favorite foods and
drugs (tobacco comes to mind) in similar  fashion?   I am sure a
pharmaceutical exec would argue that's not  true, but seriously is there any real effort
going on to reclaim the use of  Borage, Comfrey, etc?  I mean seriously, we
ought to ban sugar, high  fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils etc if we are
worrying about even a  miniscule chance of someone getting hurt from ingesting
plant substances known  to be potentially dangerous...

As for A. canadensis, it's a very good point that anticipating markets may
be misguided.  however, anticipating need for the medicine may not be such  a
bad idea.  Money is useful but it ain't medicine.

Best regards, Jennifer C.