[MPWG] Question of the Month: Can we bridge the gap between wild certified and certified organic?

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Tue Mar 29 13:17:02 CST 2005

I'm getting a head start on a question of the month for April.  One of our
members raises an interesting question:   Is there any way to bridge the
gap between wild certified and organic certified so that we can restore
woodlands to sell certified wild products?

Her idea is to create ECONOMIC INCENTIVES FOR RESTORATION while SUPPORTING
LOCAL GENETICS.  In her words,  "I see an important opportunity for plant
conservation on small farms and the need to develop guidelines that will
support a small farmer wishing to be a good steward while offering economic
opportunity." She sees certified wild products as the answer.

Here's the scenario: Private landowners could restore disturbed/degraded
lands with genetically appropriate species which can then be harvested to
create value-added products.

Here's the problem: There is a gap between "wild certified and "certified
organic," specifically regarding the nature of the material that can be
certified.  When it comes to restoration, there are advantages and
limitations to both wild certification and organic certification.

   Wild certification:
      Advantages - Takes local genetics into account
      Limitations - Does not allow for any manipulation of the environment
   (including planting required for restoration, putting up
                  barriers to prevent invasives, etc.)

   Organic certification:
      Advantages - Allows for the activities that would be required to
   restore a degraded habitat (there is a mechanism that after a
                  certain period of time even previously "non-organic" land
   can be deemed organic)
      Limitations - There are very specific parameters of what constitutes
   cultivation which conflict with restoration of wild habitat and
                  does not take local genetics into consideration.

The end result is that wild certification could address the local genetics
issue without allowing for restoration, or organic certification would
allow for restoration but not address the genetics issue.  Is there any way
to bridge this gap?

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>