[MPWG] Re: Documentary on Healing Practices from the Neolithic to Today

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Mon Jan 31 14:46:58 CST 2005

I obtained permission to forward this information regarding the making of
the documentary to the MPWG listserve.  Below are TWO e-mails - I've put
them in chronological order.  It looks like an interesting project.  Please
keep us informed of any exciting developments!

-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 01/31/2005 03:39
PM -----

E-MAIL #1:

>       FROM: "Kelley Bell" <klw at insight.rr.com
>       To:   Phytomedica at yahoogroups.com
>       Subject: [Phytomedica] Documentary
>                      01/21/2005 10:03
>                      AM
>

> Varga Communications, in association with Kelley Bell, are in the process
> of researching material for a Film Documentary:
>

> This documentary will provide a historical timeline of healing practices
> from the Neolithic age to the present.
>

> The main focus will compare and contrast the 5000 year old history of the
> Asian preventative care model, and the 500 year history of the
> Conventional
> model of Western medicine.
>

> Our series will create a broad based awareness of conventional and
> Alternative wellness practices.
>

> This will be achieved through the review of a large body of research, and
> interviews with medical experts.    We will offer an informative,
> unbiased,
> cross-cultural view of the triumphs and tragedy's of the worlds healing
> arts, from the past to the present.
>

> The series will crescendo with a glimpse into the future.  The practice
of
> integrated Medicine: A modality that combines the knowledge of east and
> west, and brings the best of these medical models together.
>

> There are a variety of opportunities for involvement.  We are looking
for:

> A panel of Experts to offer commentary on the documentary
> Individual interviews with practitioners, researchers, and patients
> Video tours of facilities offering CAM (Complementary and Alternative
> Modalities)
> Rights and permissions to use previously published research
> Rights and permissions to air previously recorded film footage
> Individual interviews of CAM experiences
> Individuals interested in Film editing, script writing, grant writing,
> fact
> checking, business, distribution, sales, or web design
> Grant or Funding gifts to support the project
>

> If you have questions, comments, or would like to participate in this
> project, please contact:
>
> Kelley Bell
>
> 44 Ravine Road
>
> Powell, Ohio 43064
>
> 614-264-9945
>

> klw at insight.rr.com
>
> http://kelleybell.blogspot.com

E-MAIL #2:

                      "Kelley
                      Wenzlaff"                To:      <Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov>
                      <klw at insight.rr.         cc:
                      com>                     Subject: Re: [Phytomedica] Documentary

                      01/24/2005 05:15
                      PM

Thank you.
Yes, you have my permission to post to the listserve.  I would be grateful.

If you have information or documentation of any kind that you would like to

contribute to our project, we would love to hear about it.

We are seeking detailed information that will allow us to define the scope
of our script.

We want to interview the top experts and ask:

1)Type of practice
2) Scope of use
3) research on efficacy
4) legal status or struggles to practice in the USA
5) Demographics: who is using it, what % of the population uses it, etc.
6) History: how and where it developed, etc.

Also, we are looking into places that would offer good visuals for filming.

ie: practioners in action, places of practice, examples of lifestyle,
plants
being grown, processed or sold, as well as interviews.

Pass the word, and jump on board!
With a little luck and some word of mouth, we hope that this project will
become a widely cited, widely circulated, informative documentary on the
subject.