[MPWG] Third International Phytotechnologies Conference - APR 05 - Georgia

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Jan 14 08:27:14 CST 2005

Below I have pasted information about an upcoming Phytotechnologies meeting
that is being sponsored by one of our PCA partners, the US EPA.  I've
attached a pdf with the meeting announcement.

Wasn't there a listserve member in Vermont looking for information on
this??  Here's your opportunity to get more information!

You need to register, but there is no registration fee.  Although it says
that the registration deadline is March 2004 - I think they meant 2005!  If
any listserve members are able to go, I'd welcome a report back to the
group.  Thanks!

-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

- - - - -

Third International Phytotechnologies Conference
April 20-22, 2005
Hyatt Regency Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia

Phytotechnologies use plants to clean or contain contaminants from soil,
sediments, or water. Planted systems can degrade
organic pollutants and extract heavy metals. Advances have been made in
research to identify and optimize plant capability to
reduce risk and enhance environmental benefits. This conference will
present the state of science and engineering development in
phytotechnologies worldwide. More specifically, the purpose of this
conference is to understand which technologies using plants
are currently effective, how best to integrate research science and field
applications, and what questions need further research.

Who Should Attend

This meeting is designed to assist professionals
in the regulatory community for overseeing the
design, implementation, and monitoring of sites
that utilize phytotechnology. Site managers,
students, contractors, and consultants will
benefit from the up-to-date technical information
presented, as well as interaction with regulators,
environmental professionals, and scientists from
universities and research institutions. Individuals
and institutions interested in international collaboration
on eco-restoration and sustainable
remediation also should attend.

Session Topics

• Measurement technologies or
techniques for assessing a project’s
progress
• Projects which decrease costs for
existing conventional remediation or
containment
• Phytotechnologies for use in developing
economies
• Eco-restoration or habitat creation with
remediation
• Fate or transport of contaminants
through plants and associated eco-risk
• Case studies of successful applications
• Case studies that illustrate regulatory
process for evaluating phytoremediation
projects

Field Trip

There will be an optional field trip to
the Department of Energy Savannah
River Site in Aiken, SC. When you register
for the conference, you will be given the
option of registering for this field trip.

Registration

There is no registration fee for the conference.
The deadline for registration is March 30, 2004.
You can register for the conference on the
internet at www.trainex.org/phyto.
• Click the Register button at the bottom of the
page to register. You will be prompted for your
email address and other contact information.
• Be sure to click Submit at the bottom of the
registration form.
Should you need to cancel your registration,
return to www.trainex.org and locate your
registration under Students/Current Registrations
on the left menu bar. There is a direct link to the
Third International Phytotechnologies conferen

Sponsors

• US EPA
• Midwest Hazardous Substances Research
Center
• Chevron Texaco
• BP Corporation
• ITRC

(See attached file: Phyto Conference Brochure.pdf)