[MPWG] Cultivation of Medicinal Plants

Edward J Fletcher Efletcher at skybest.com
Mon Jan 10 08:18:07 CST 2005

I concur with the need for wildcrafter & grower input.
But I also understanding the hurdles we must cross to
accomplish this, not to mention the communication
gap that must be bridged.
I work with over 85 growers & wildcrafters from 14 different countries.
Most of them have telephones, some faxes, some computers and
even email. But remember they work outside most of the
time and have a lot more important things to do(in their opinion)
than monitor a list serve. Sorry but I know that's their viewpoint.

I have been propagated and growing native plants commercially
for over 29 years, initially for the ornamental industry and now for the

medicinal industry. I use this knowledge and experience to assist the
growers I work with to produce a top quality, marketable crop.
But inevitably I learn more from my growers than I teach them, as
I believe we all can if we just listen.
How can we listen? Since visiting each grower or getting them to
communicate
in this venue is difficult, the next best option is having those of us
who
work closest with them share their opinions and viewpoints.
I try to be their voice whenever I speak in relation to botanical raw
material supplying, as I know other 'grower representatives' do.

Remember we all must make a living, while attempting to speak
for both the producers and the plants. As for me I will contribute
when and where I am given the chance as feasible.

As a matter of fact, I am traveling to meet with one such grower group
later in January, so if you have questions you would like to ask them,
let me know and I will gladly convey their response(s).
Genuinely,
Edward J. Fletcher
Strategic Sourcing, Inc.
Botanical Division, C.O.O.