[MPWG] Cultivation of Medicinal Plants

Center for Sustainable Resources sustainableresources at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 7 19:47:31 CST 2005

OK, I will bite but don't know if this will get posted. Usually the
scientific police don'y allow postings from growers on this list unless they
are comments that agree with the objective.
Voison is a good name but how about Liapold?
Fist I would like to point out that "organic" did not struggle for fifty
years. The loss of organic production started about fifty years ago with the
advent of good scientific information about chemicals and such. Prior to
thgis time all ag was what you would call organic.
An irony about this is that all lands anywhere in the world have always been
destroyed by human decision making regardless. Organic limitations verses
high tech is simply a matter of spead considering how long it takes a
culture to turn a piece of land to desert. The midwest cornbelt is simply a
green desert. At this point if man walked away it would become a real desert
quickly. You see most of the land has already gone down the Missisippi.
Preventing bare soil is the only conservation practice that works.
Growers have never been respected by the so called scientific community and
that process continues. It seems connected to mainaining funds and
bureaucratic jobs. It has nothing to do with doing the right thing but is
entirely about ego and money.
So we as growers work to mainatin ourselves and work for ways to keep the
helper agencies from stripping away what we sustain ourselves with.
That said certification will never be anything to anyone except those people
who are not producers. For producers it is just another way city populations
try to control the people on the land.
It tells the consumer nothing about the product they use except that someone
said it was good to have this lable.
The only certification that works is to talk to who produces something
directly. But then you can't trust producers. However, they are expected to
trust the government which got us whetre we are.
I was told the other day that it is illegal to sell multiflora. This is
ironic since the givernment sold it to us. It is a very useful plant and
well behaved after being here a while so now they want to get rid of it. I
hope this helps. Fred Hays