[MPWG] eat the weeds

Virgil Dupuis Virgil_Dupuis at skc.edu
Thu Feb 17 10:33:38 CST 2005

I agree management by utilization is an important part of lessening the
impact of these plants on our environment and is often the only solution
because we have let these plants, or encouraged these plants to become
dominant, and they are plants very difficult to control (sheep and spurge;
spurge should(?) be a valuable addition to our ecosystem because it is
platable to sheep and goats and has very high latex we could make products
from).  I am concerned about individual attitudes towards an invasive
plant that they do not particularly think affects them, they may even
enjoy it, and use those attitudes to rationalize not controlling them on
their property and ignoring the affects they have on their neighbors and
the ecosystem.  I am working on three new invaders to our area that are
proven to displace all native plants from their niches, dominate sites,
and have limited existing (current uses).  One is edible and one has been
used medicinally for at least three thousand years.  Obtaining support and
interest to manage these situations is very difficult, and I do not think
waiting untill adaptative management presents a suitable use is a sensible
use of our ecosystem resources.