[MPWG] Science paper on ginseng

Center for Sustainable Resources sustainableresources at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 12 09:05:41 CST 2005

Yes, dogs of any kind will affect an elk herd, just give them time. They are
very efficient at this.
They take the young as they are born. One problem in this area now is that
coyotes are doing this to cattle while birthing. They in fact take out many
deer in the same way. You don't see this because the adult is left but the
young were never around long enough to be noticed.
Actually you would not want restrictions on hunting coyotes if you want more
of them and less deer. An irony is that hunting pressure actually stimulates
their reproduction.
If the deer were moving more in a natural system they are less of a problem
on specific sites. Hunting and predation keeps them going. Not having the
presence of pack hunters is where we have the worst problems with them.
What do you have against elk? Did I spell it wrong? Fred Hays