[MPWG] RE: Deer Foraging Threatens Ginseng Survival

Bob Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 11 12:10:59 CST 2005

As a person who has been previously interviewed by NPR about ginseng by a
very good reporter (Jon Miller), let me begin by saying that when you have
a tape recorder running for 5 or 6 hours or even longer, there are bound to
be things included or excluded that you wish you could change.  I suspect
that Dr McGraw has other ideas about ginseng conservation in addition to
what ended up on the air. An earlier reply to this message by Jennifer
brought up the issue of cultivation within "gated" communities. This is
precisely the environment that ginseng growers provide and if such "wild
simulated" production can ease collection pressure or provide refuge or
havens from deer, it needs to be encouraged.