[MPWG] Ailanthus and Invasives

Stiki Niki texas_herbalist at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 6 10:26:41 CST 2005

Dear All
I could only skim through responses but wanted to throw in that I do love
the weeds, but coming from an ecological standpoint to me they indicate a
native system out of balance.  They come in to try to heal things and hold
the earth in place.  Sometimes I think some of the really noxious ones come
in to keep us out of an area...The weeds may be native or naturalized, but
instead of just wiping them out(I am a weedy European as well) I think they
need to be watched and the health of the entire system worked on.
GradenTomatoes and such are not the same.  They rarely become naturalized to
the point of invasiveness, they are pretty limited in range if they get
outside of a garden, at least in the bioregions I have been to.  As a
wildcrafter, I am constantly using my background in Envirnoomental Resource
Management.  When I see plantain and cleavers everywhere, they are the first
medicinals I collect to make way for the native plants.  It is part of
stewarding the land.

I was taught how to use Ailanthus and do so in my practice(though rarely at
this point).  I use it to treat diarrhea--parastic in nature.  Moore taught
it as something of an analog to Castela emoryi....

I also use Chinaberry, a very invasive tree here in Austin.  Melia azederach
is a brother to Neem.  I have been informed that it is actually being grown
as a crop in Mexico to use as an insect repellent.  With that news I tried
the berries as a strong tea on my wonderful garden tomatoes(that stayed in
my garden) when they got aphids.  I found it highly effective against them.

I just ate some weedy invasive Chickweed Pesto yesterday, I highly value
such weeds especially in pesto.
BTW the wild mustards I have seen really like to grow around dirty
areas-sewage etc-- so beware

I will be soon adding a section onto my website that will show the different
MODERN day uses of our weedy medicinals here in Central Texas

Niki Telkes
www.wildspirit.info