[MPWG] eat the weeds

pankaj oudhia pankajoudhia at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 00:33:35 CST 2005

Very true Fred. There is a need to spread awareness about this positive approach.

Pankaj

Center for Sustainable Resources <sustainableresources at hotmail.com> wrote:
All of this goes back to the problem with labeling to generate political
action on natural syatems. It does not work and does not fit. Weed,
invasive, allien,takes over are all terms used by people to describe
something they don't want or something they have been told is bad. I prefer
unwanted plants since it ius well within good practices to want less of some
plants and more of others. That is managment. You may manage conditions to
produce stilt grass. I prefer to manage conditions to produce ginseng. Thay
are both legitimate and within your rights as a land manager. If we continue
to permit this process of making plants evil we will end up with a policed
system where by a government agency is trying to tell you what plants you
are allowed to have on your property.
As a gardener, we all know the best gardens are also the ones that produce a
lot of weeds. I would not choose a garden site without weeds. If you don't
have good weeds you are not going to have good fruits and veggies. It all
comes back to the soil. Protect the biodiversity of the soil and you will be
able to manipulate what you want out of that soil. Fred Hays