[MPWG] IFCAE response to US FWS Ginseng Decision

etj-list at ifcae.org etj-list at ifcae.org
Thu Aug 11 09:42:29 CDT 2005

FYI - Copy of IFCAE response to recent FWS ginseng decision.

--------------------------------

August 10, 2005

Peter Thomas, Chief
Division of Management Authority
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Room 700
Arlington, VA 22203

RE: Convention Permit Applications for Wild American Ginseng Harvested in 2005

Dear Dr. Thomas,

The Institute for Culture and Ecology has conducted basic and applied
research on sustainable forest management, including nontimber forest
products (NTFP), since the mid-1990s.  Scientists with the Institute have
produced numerous general technical reports and peer review articles on the
social and policy aspects of NTFPs.  We frequently conduct ethnographic
research with commercial and noncommercial harvesters, buyers, and their
communities, and work in close collaboration with Federal agency natural
scientists and program managers.  Our work includes a national study of
NTFP management and biodiversity conservation funded by the National
Commission on Science for Sustainable Forestry.  That project examined NTFP
management and biodiversity conservation issues throughout the United
States, including areas in which ginseng is commonly harvested.  The goal
of our research is to contribute toward a base of scientific knowledge for
managing NTFPs on a sustainable basis.

We have just learned that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has issued a
decision to limit the export of ginseng roots to those obtained from
"plants 10 years of age (4-leafed) or older (i.e., with 10 or more
bud-scale scars on the rhizome" (decision issued August 3, 2005). We have
several concerns about this decision:

1)  This decision is likely to have an adverse impact on minorities and
economically disadvantaged populations and thus is subject to Executive
Order 12898 on environmental justice.  Has an environmental justice
analysis been conducted as part of the process leading to this
decision?  If so, the results of that analysis need to be included in the
text of the decision. If not, an environmental justice analysis needs to be
conducted and mitigation measures need to be implemented to address any
adverse impacts on minorities or economically disadvantaged populations.

2)  To what extent has the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service met National
Environmental Policy Act scoping requirements for soliciting input from a
broad spectrum of stakeholders, including ginseng harvesters and buyers?
Our research indicates that failure to include NTFP harvesters and buyers
is likely to result in forest management decisions that are socially
inequitable, difficult and costly to enforce, and undermine stewardship
practices.

3)  Is the U.S. Fish and Wildlife and/or other federal agencies examining
the impacts of other land use practices on ginseng populations (e.g.,
mining, herbicide spraying, logging, wildlife management,
development)?  Has the agency identified management alternatives that could
be taken to simultaneously achieve ginseng population conservation goals
and the sustainability of harvesting cultures, traditions, and economies?

4)  To what extent is the decision in compliance with the Small Business
Regulatory Fairness Act, including such provisions as informing the Chief
Counsel for the Small Business Administration on the potential impacts of
the decision on existing and future small businesses?

We urge that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife rescind the August 3, 2005 decision
and take the steps to address these four areas of concern.  Please keep us
informed of the steps that you take and any opportunities to participate in
the process.

Sincerely,

Eric T. Jones, Ph.D.
Rebecca  J. McLain, Ph.D.
Kathryn A. Lynch, Ph.D.

Institute for Culture and Ecology
P.O Box 6688
Portland, OR 97228-6688
503-331-6681
ifcae at ifcae.org
www.ifcae.org

c.c.
Robert R. Gabel, Chief, Division of Scientific Authority
Kenneth Stansell, Chief of International Affairs
Matthew J. Hogan, Acting Director, U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Marshall P. Jones, Jr., Deputy Director, U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Gale Norton, Secretary of U.S. Department of Interior

Addresses:

Peter Thomas
Chief, Division of Management Authority
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, International Affairs
4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Room 700
Arlington, VA 22203

Robert R. Gabel
Chief, Division of Scientific Authority
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, International Affairs
4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Room 700
Arlington, VA 22203

Kenneth Stansell, Chief of International Affairs
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
1849 C Street, NW
Washington, DC 20242

Matthew J. Hogan, Acting Director, U.S. Fish and Wildlife
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
1849 C Street, NW
Washington, DC 20242

Gale Norton, Secretary of U.S. Department of Interior
Department of the Interior
1849 C Street, N.W.
Washington DC 20240