[MPWG] What is native?

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Wed Sep 29 13:29:41 CDT 2004

This info came across the PCA Native Plant Listserve (a sister listserve
that you may join if you are interested in general native plant topics -
see http://www.nps.gov/plants/maillist.htm).  The question of "What is
native?" becomes even more clouded when considering medicinal plants as,
time and again, we have seen examples of introduced plant species being
fully incorporated into traditional medicine.  Read on....

-Patricia

FROM: Lisa Tasker (Wearing the hat of the Co-committee chair for the
Colorado Native Plant Society's Horticulture and Restoration Committee)

In case you have not already come across this document put out by the
Colorado Native Plant Society, here is our attempt at addressing what is
"native".  You can find this document on the website as well www.conps.org
.  I thought this would be of interest.

Also, I would like to suggest you contact Dr. Yan Linhart at the University
of Colorado as he has done studies documenting genetic "pollution" from
planting non-local natives planted near their true native counterparts
along a roadside in Rocky Mountain National Park and other studies.  I am
going to be lazy and let you look on the U of C website under the EPO
biology department for his contact info.  A second contact could be Randy
Kratz, the botanist with the Forest Service for the Rocky Mountain Region
as he is involved with a document addressing genetic issues with regards to
revegetating with native plants (coming out of California).  I believe you
can find more info on this at this link
http://www.blm.gov/nhp/efoia/ca/Public/IMs/1997/CAIM97-005-P.html

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>