[MPWG] IUCN-For Plants and People

Center for Sustainable Resources sustainableresources at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 8 21:10:12 CDT 2004

I am responding to your response to the article Pat posted.
While you seem to be on the right trac you are also flirting with some
political pifalls which may explain why such decision making has not worked
here.
First, It is not really about the poor and not poor or rich and poor. People
on the land through generations learn how to use the land and to draw a
livlihood from it while becoming the best stewards for the land. Private
property rights are the most important aspect of making this work.
You also talk about the virtues of "native americans" and their impact on
the forest. No real evidence of this exist. More evidence to the contrary
exist but what does it matter.
As soon as you start referring to something or a group of people as native
little chance of success is possible. A hundred years of that kind of
thinking has gotten us what?
There simply are no native humans in north america. Everyone came from
another part of the world.
The idea of native in this instance and in many others is nothing more than
a political position.
I have shawnee in my family but am not aware of anyone receiving any kind of
green card at anytime in history. Our government has many strange concepts
regarding this issue. In fact the elk is not a native animal in america. It
came over with the first pilgrams as much research suggest.
America is still america at this point and time where anyone has
opportunity.Misguided decision making has eroded our rights to a certain
extent but this will fail.  By attacking the very people who are working
with the land you are attacking what you claim you see as hopeful.
Fred Hays