[MPWG] More on COP13....

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Wed Oct 20 14:36:57 CDT 2004

A question from the listserve prompted me to throw together the following
summary that I hope will assist you in locating information on issues
discussed at COP13 that are of interest to you.

Below is a summary from each day of the meeting.  The first two days were
spent in Plenary, where administrative matters were discussed.  Most (but
not all) of the plant issues were discussed on Oct. 6-8.  With regard to
plants, although many plant species have medicinal applications they are
not necessarily listed on CITES for that reason (for example, Gonystylus
has been listed for its trade in timber, but it is also traded as
agarwood).

The information below derives from the Environmental Negotiations Bulletin
website (as provided in the previous e-mail:
http://www.iisd.ca/cites/cop13/ - click on Daily Bulletins) with reference
to the relevant CITES summaries.  For the most part, Committee I dealt with
the listing proposals, and Committee II dealt with the policies.  However,
the resolution pertaining to trade in plants (Conf. 11.11) was discussed in
Committee I.  Read on....

CITES COP?13 HIGHLIGHTS:

SATURDAY, 2 OCTOBER 2004

 Welcoming  address  and  opening of the thirteenth Conference of the Parties (COP-13) to the
 Convention  on  International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) in
 Bangkok, Thailand.

            For more info, see
            ENB   http://www.iisd.ca/vol21/enb2135e.html

            Plenary      First Session
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-Plen1.pdf

SUNDAY, 3 OCTOBER 2004

 Delegates  convened  in  a  morning Plenary session to consider strategic and administrative
 matters,  including  voting  procedures,  adoption  of  the  rules of procedure, election of
 officers,  adoption of the agenda and working programme, credentials, admission of observers
 and committee reports. Regional groups met in the afternoon.

            For more info, see
            ENB   http://www.iisd.ca/vol21/enb2136e.html

            Plenary      Second Session
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-Plen2.pdf

                  Third Session
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-Plen3.pdf

                  Fourth Session
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-Plen4.pdf

MONDAY, 4 OCTOBER 2004

 Delegates  to COP-13 met in committees throughout the day. Committee I considered Appendix I
 species  subject  to  export quotas, transport of live specimens and rhinoceros conservation
 and trade. Committee II addressed finance and budgetary matters, and the review of permanent
 committees.

 For more info, see
 ENB   http://www.iisd.ca/vol21/enb2137e.html

 CITES Committee I
       http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep1.pdf
       and   http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep2.pdf

 CITES Committee II
       http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIIRep1.pdf
       and   http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIIRep2.pdf

TUESDAY, 5 OCTOBER 2004

 Delegates  to  COP?13  convened  in  committees  throughout  the  day. Committee I addressed
 conservation of saiga antelopes, tortoises and freshwater turtles, sharks and sea cucumbers.
 Committee  II  addressed  nomenclature, finance, sturgeons and synergy between CITES and the
 Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD).

            For more info, see
            ENB   http://www.iisd.ca/vol21/enb2138e.html

            CITES Committee I
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep3.pdf
                  and
http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep4.pdf

            CITES Committee II
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep3.pdf
                  and
http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIIRep4.pdf

WEDNESDAY, 6 OCTOBER 2004

 Committee  I  addressed  the  Bigleaf  Mahogany  Working  Group, evaluation of the Review of
 Significant  Trade  (RST),  review  of plant?related resolutions, registration of Appendix I
 species in captivity for commercial purposes, and criteria for amendment of Appendices I and
 II.  Committee II considered economic incentives, ex situ breeding and in situ conservation,
 review of resolutions and decisions, and reporting.

            For more info, see
            ENB   http://www.iisd.ca/vol21/enb2139e.html

            CITES Committee I
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep5.pdf
                  and
http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep6.pdf

            CITES Committee II
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIIRep5.pdf
                  and
http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIIRep6.pdf

THURSDAY, 7 OCTOBER 2004

 Delegates  to  COP?13  met in committees throughout the day. Committee I addressed medicinal
 plant  annotations,  nomenclature issues and proposals to amend the Appendices. Committee II
 considered  trade  in  vicuña  cloth,  enforcement matters, compliance, conservation of, and
 trade in, great apes, bears, Asian big cats and Tibetan antelope.

            For more info, see
            ENB   http://www.iisd.ca/vol21/enb2140e.html

            CITES Committee I
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep7.pdf
                  and
http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep8.pdf

            CITES Committee II
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIIRep6.pdf
                  and
http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIIRep6.pdf

FRIDAY, 8 OCTOBER 2004

 Committee  I  continued  discussions  on  resolution  reviews  and  proposals  to  amend the
 Appendices,  including  ramin,  irrawaddy dolphin and Hoodia. Committee II considered, inter
 alia, cooperation with other organizations, and trade control and marking issues.

            For more info, see
            ENB   http://www.iisd.ca/vol21/enb2141e.html

            CITES Committee I
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep9.pdf
                  and
http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep10.pdf

            CITES Committee II
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIIRep9.pdf
                  and
http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIIRep10.pdf

MONDAY, 11 OCTOBER 2004

 Delegates  met  in  Committees throughout the day. Committee I considered elephant and ivory
 issues,  while  Committee II considered, inter alia, commercial trade in Appendix I species,
 annual export quotas, source codes, production systems and great apes.

            For more info, see
            ENB   http://www.iisd.ca/vol21/enb2142e.html

            CITES Committee I
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep11.pdf
                  and
http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep12.pdf
                  and
http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep13.pdf

            CITES Committee II
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIIRep11.pdf
                  and
http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIIRep12.pdf

TUESDAY, 12 OCTOBER 2004

 Delegates  met  in  Committees throughout the day. Committee I considered draft revisions of
 trade and conservation issues, whale stocks and proposals to amend the Appendices. Committee
 II considered, inter alia, personal household effects, bushmeat, sturgeons and finance.

            For more info, see
            ENB   http://www.iisd.ca/vol21/enb2143e.html

            CITES Committee I
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep14.pdf
                  and
http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep15.pdf
                  and
http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep16.pdf

            CITES Committee II
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIIRep13.pdf
                  and
http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIIRep14.pdf

WEDNESDAY, 13 OCTOBER 2004

 Committee  I  convened  to consider Appendices proposals, bigleaf mahogany, captive breeding
 and artificial propagation. Plenary met to consider, inter alia, resolutions and decisions.

            For more info, see
            ENB   http://www.iisd.ca/vol21/enb2144e.html

            CITES Committee I
                  http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/13/sum/E13-ComIRep17.pdf

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>