[MPWG] MPWG - Membership Matters

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu Jun 3 11:50:22 CDT 2004

To our new members.....
Since January, we have had thirty new subscriptions to the Medicinal Plant
Working Group (MPWG) listserve.  Our listserve membership currently exceeds
270 people!  Despite my best intentions to contact each new "subscript"
personally, that task has languished.  So, let me begin by saying, "Welcome
to all new members!"

To all members, new and old.....
I'd like to ask any members who have not already done so to drop me a line
(at Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov) to tell me a little about who you are, what
you do, how to reach you and what your interest is in being part of the
working group.  You are also invited to submit information for the
Medicinal Plant Working Group e-directory (A reminder will soon be posted
on the listserve with the details for submitting your information).

Posting to the listserve...
The MPWG listserve provides a forum for discussion on issues related to the
sustainable use and conservation of medicinal plants within the context of
the following broad goals....

       Generate and share information regarding species of medicinal and
       economic importance and conservation concern;
       Promote appropriate conservation measures for native medicinal
       plants;
       Promote sustainable production of native medicinal plants;
       Increase participation in native medicinal plant conservation; and
       Encourage active participation by Tribes and other holders of
       traditional native medicinal plant knowledge.

I encourage you to post information related to these topic areas, including
medicinal plant research activities and conservation projects related to
the above-listed endeavors.  Conference and meeting announcements or
summaries, botanical job vacancies, research or conservation funding
opportunities, and partnerships that exemplify a multi-stakeholder approach
to conservation are also encouraged.  To post a message, simply compose an
e-mail with the intended information and send it to: <
mpwg at lists.plantconservation.org>

What shouldn't go over the listserve...
Although I find it personally interesting, there are many aspects of
medicinal plants that are not appropriate for discussion over this
listserve, including:
      Diagnoses for specific ailments.
      Treatment suggestions.
      Commercial ads.

Please e-mail us with questions...
If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions, please e-mail us at: <
Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov> and <plants at plantconservation.org>.

Thanks!
Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>