[MPWG] Contributions

Trachtenberg, Alan Alan.Trachtenberg at ihs.gov
Fri Jan 30 17:48:19 CST 2004

Well I, for one, remain very interested in traditional uses of plants,
especially from native cultures that I am unfamiliar with (like Hawai).
This may have important implications for conservation of these and
related species around the world in today's global economy.  I agree
that this is not the place to discuss individual's health problems
(unless it's a really interesting case that shows something about the
actions or availability of the plant medicines), but it does seem to me
that unless we're talking about food crops, the demand side of the
conservation equation is important.  Over attention to the supply side
and inadequate attention to demand has been a major problem in drug
policy over the years.  Let's not make the same mistake when it comes to
these promising positive plant products.

Just a personal opinion, no agency endorsement intended or implied.

Alan Trachtenberg, MD, MPH, Research Director,
Indian Health Service,
United States Public Health Service
Phone: 301-443-0578; fax: 301-443-1522