[MPWG] Conservation focus of MPWG

botresearchusa botresearchusa at academicplanet.com
Fri Jan 30 12:43:43 CST 2004

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: rabiah al nur
  To: MPWG at lists.plantconservation.org
  Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 10:37 AM
  Subject: Re: [MPWG] Conservation focus of MPWG

  I would like to see what you area doing especially in the reintroduction area.  a great step in bringing the topic back to the original intent would be generating the same kinds of conversations, with as much gusto and to the point
  respectfully

  rabiah

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Rabiah,

  Botresearch USA is currently working with plants in one of the largest medicinal plant families, that being the Lamiaceae/ Labiatae family. Most people are familiar with those species eg. Mint, thyme ,basil and oregano which have culinary applications, but far fewer are familiar with  those which have recently been found to have medicinal applications. A case in point is that of Agastache rugosa which has shown inhibitory reactions to  HIV-1  virus. While this native of Japan is not currently threatened or endangered now, its future in light of new research is likely to lead to  one of concern as a result of  high demand.

  Since only a small percentage of the species in this family have been researched for potential medicinal applications or as a potential source for new pharmaceuticals, what is to say that other Agastache species eg. A. scrophulariifolia, A nepetoides, or A. foeniculum could not have similar potential. These species which so far have not been evaluated  are currently on the threatened and endangered species by state list in Connecticutt, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, New Jersey, Vermont, and Tennesee as being of Special Concern, Threatened or Endangered. What will happen if they turn out to have a similar value to A. rugosa ?

  As a result of this, Botresearch USA is taking a proactive stance and utilizing biotechnology to mass produce these species via tissue culture and retuning them to their natural habitats utilizing university students, and interested conservation organizations.

  We would challenge others to join with us, or begin work on medicinal species in other plant families to prevent or reverse the conditions which currently or could in the future cause concern for these species. I hope this answers your query as to what we are doing currently.

  Regards,
  J.N.Covanes
  Director of Research
  Botresearch USA