[MPWG] MPWG Ethics and Ethnobotanical Research

ForestRuss at aol.com ForestRuss at aol.com
Tue Jan 20 19:49:46 CST 2004

Eric:

Good post....what sort of significant ethical issues have these postings
brought up?

Also, although I have the greatest respect for aboriginal peoples and the
culture of Native Americans, in Appalachia, we have an entire segment of rural
society that seems to feel they have some "aboriginal" rights to go onto private
property and pilfer medicinal plants.
These are not necessarily people that have lived on the same land for
hundreds or thousands of years and they are increasingly bastardizing legitimate
aboriginal claims for access or use.

How would you suggest that we separate or determine what is a legitimate
"aboriginal" right of access or wild harvesting from those of the interlopers?

Russ Richardson
PO Box 206
Weston, WV 26452