[MPWG] Medicinal value of seed extract of Swietenia mahogoni

wendy.applequist at mobot.org wendy.applequist at mobot.org
Fri Jan 9 09:42:57 CST 2004

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you in this case.  Swietenia mahagoni is
a CITES II species where logs, sawn wood and veneer sheets are concerned;
neotropical populations of Swietenia macrophylla are CITES II for the above
products and plywood.  Now, the first thought that occurs to me is why
the.... would someone make plywood out of mahogany?  Maybe it's done with
the scraps?  Obviously mahogany is not as common as maple, or it wouldn't be
so expensive, but the current judgement seems to be that enough of it exists
to allow for some sustainable level of logging.  I would argue that seed
collection would be in most cases far less harmful to a tree population than
the removal of mature individuals, and therefore that research on or modest
commercial use of the seeds need not be condemned.  After all, should the
plant turn out to have such an extraordinary medicinal value that demand for
the seeds would become unsustainable, that value would have to be
understood, and some of the active ingredients identified if possible,
before the search for a suitable substitute could begin.  If, to cite the
extreme example, mahogany seeds cured cancer, we would certainly need to
develop a related substitute or means of artificially synthesizing active
compounds -- but that would never happen if the effect was never discovered
because no research was done on uncommon species.

Wendy