[MPWG] Wild Life Sting.

Ivor Hughes Herbworks1 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jan 8 22:57:55 CST 2004

I still dont believe the Conservation scam ....

the following is composed of  two cut and paste, from the last two
issues of MPWG Digest,s.

"applied to a cute panda happily munching its way through bamboo forests
.... But applied to the world of herbs, the scientific meaning is
legislation, and restriction, for scientific and pharmaceutical use
only. With that also come the costly task of enforcement, abuse of human
rights and punitive penalties for the peasants.  Seen in that light, the
peasants also pay for their own striped suit, and ball  and chain via
taxation.

"Yesterday, officials with the National Park Service and the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries announced the sting operation based at the Elkton store. It was all part of a multiyear, multi-state investigation into the illegal harvest or sale of American ginseng and
black bear organs, much of it for exportation to Asia. More than 100 people from several states could face charges resulting from the investigation, which tracked the illicit plants with a recently developed arsenal of special dyes and silicon chips. More than 40 people have been charged in sealed indictments. Two were in custody."

The following  is a cut and paste from Richters website ..  www.richters.com

"AMERICAN GINSENG [Order Related Book]
Panax quinquefolius
Perennial     Uses: medicinal     Sow No:S3
Native of cool hardwood forests throughout eastern and central North
America. It has become extinct in many areas and is now cultivated to a
large extent in British Columbia, Ontario and Wisconsin. Seeds are
planted in hardwood forests or in specially prepared beds anytime from
Sept. until the ground freezes. The following spring, the seedlings
appear, and in 3 to 6 years they mature. We offer high quality
stratified seeds. Detailed growing instructions included. "

Richters are now quoting US$240 per Kg for stratified seed.  I am sure
that  Richters would confirm that they have a world wide demand for the
quinquefolius seed.

The post by Wayne Owen illustrates the point I have been trying to make
.... that sting cost a lot of money to plan and carry out. In fact when
I read the post, my immediate thought was of the American folk tale of
Al Capone and Elliot Ness. First came the ban .... then came the machine
guns and mobsters ... then came the FBI .... and then the ban was lifted.

So as usual ... we have punitive measures from the top down. People have
lost their rights ... cui bono ?

The millions of dollars spent on the sting .... and the ongoing and
never ending enforcement cost. These wild life organisations are assured
of funding for many years to come .... or for as long as they can keep
the game going for their own benefit.

Personally I think the money would be better spent on financing the
growing of the Ginseng by the dispossessed peasants in the affected US
States .... but this simple answer is not going to happen ... is it ?
And we all know why .... dont we ?

Ivor Hughes
www.herbdatanz.com