[MPWG] Demand for Rhodiola from the wild

Maureen DeCoursey mdecoursey at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 8 15:52:26 CST 2004

Hi Eric (and Trish!)

Evelyn Leigh will be happy to know her article is generating good
discussion!

Re Rob McCaleb's comments on overharvesting and sustainable harvesting in
Russia.  This is based on the work we have been doing with USAID there for
the past few years. Actually, the Russians had a very interesting and
tightly controlled resource management system for a large number of NTFPs
under the former Soviet system. While it may not have been perfect, at least
they had reasonable inventory data, sustainable harvest protocals, and
tightly controlled resource access systems. Under the former regime, there
was little incentive to over/destructively harvest, at least at the personal
level. (The state, however, may have had other ideas...) In many ways
Russian scientists have something to teach their western counterparts in
this regard. I have found this to be the case in Albania as well, another
country where, under the former regime, had a reasonable resource management
system (facism aside!)  (Any of you government scientists want to partner
with colleagues in Russia or the Balkans on this?)

The dynamic in both countries is that now that the iron grip of the former
system has broken down and been replaced by the free market in a vacuum of
an effective judicial system, harvests are almost completely unmanaged. In
the case of Rhodiola, in previous times it appears that it had been
harvested--dare I say it, sustainably? when it was done by Russian
cooperatives for the manufacturing of Russian products.  But now that
borders are porous and the demand has spiked, its a free-for-all. I was in
the Baikal region two summers ago on this project, and this was one the main
complaints of scientists at the Russian Academy of Science there.

The moral of the story is: rich forests, poor people, high market demand,
open access resource---degredation.  You know the story.

Maureen DeCoursey
Non-Timber Forestry Consultants
Fort Collins, Colorado